Christian Buckley (MVP) together with others MVPs from the SharePoint and Office365 community joined the #CollabTalk tweetjam on December 30.
The focus was to discuss the future of SharePoint. Developers from the Microsoft product group also joined the jam.
Focus questions of the SharePoint #CollabTalk tweetjam
You find my personal summary of the tweets in italic.
- Is SharePoint still relevant?
Summary: Yes, SharePoint as a technology is still relevant, but in the future it will be more part of an overall collaboration story (Office365) for Microsoft. The brand “SharePoint” will become less important.
- How important is SharePoint’s hybrid support and on prem roadmap to your customers?
Summary: Hybrid support for SharePoint is important to the customers. Microsoft needs to be much more transparent about vision, roadmap and functionalities for hybrid scenarios.
- What kind of impact is Office365 having on you and your customers?
Summary: Customers take Office365 into consideration. Exchange and Lync are currently more relevant (easier to implement) than SharePoint. Adaption / deployment rates are still low, not only in Europe. Security is still an issue. Move to Office365 will happen faster in SMB than in larger Enterprises.
- What does the removal of Office365 features mean for the future?
Summary: The feature reduction is not going over well. Transparency and communication of the roadmap needs to be much better.
- What 3 features (available or forthcoming) will have the biggest impact on SharePoint in 2015?
Summary (no clear favorites): Azure AD Integration, better mobile UI and hybrid support, Office 365 API, One Drive for Business, just to name a few ….
- What are your predictions for SharePoint as a platform in 2015 and beyond?
Summary: SharePoint (may be within Office365) will become more and more the integration platform for Enterprise business and productivity.
- If you could give one piece of advice to Microsoft re: SharePoint, what would it be?
Summary: Better roadmap and communication for new features. and my favorite tweet: “While you push innovators to cloud, devices + services, don’t forget mainstream customers who got you here” via @resing
Read the whole summary with the tweets at https://storify.com/buckleyplanet/predictions-for-sharepoint-and-office-365-in-2015